Remember when I threw some praise toward the Dash Mini Rice Cooker?
Well, I figured I was overdue to share one of my favorite non-rice recipes for this little device: Black Bean Soup.
Just dump all the ingredients together, turn the cooker on, and in a few minutes, you have a yummy, tasty, healthy, and filling meal.
When I made this recipe, I made it just big enough to fill the mini rice cooker. If you’re not a big eater, you can split the bowl with a friend or loved one or just save half of it for later. If you have a big family to feed, you can double or triple the recipe and make it in a regular-sized rice cooker. Easy peasy.
When I make this recipe, I like to use mild salsa because I’m not into super spicy foods. However, you can choose whatever salsa is your favorite to up the heat.
I also like to use Kirkland canned chicken breast since the chicken comes pre-cooked and I can buy the chicken in bulk at Costco. However, you can use pre-cooked rotisserie chicken or something similar if you have it on hand. Or you can forego the chicken entirely if you’re trying to eat less meat.
As for toppings? Feel free to sprinkle fresh green onions over the top of the soup and add a dollop of sour cream. If you want, the soup would also taste great with tortilla chips crumbled into it, and chunks of cold avocado would also add some great texture and flavor.
If you don’t have the Dash mini rice cooker, you can make this recipe on the stove or even in the microwave. I prefer the rice cooker because of its size and because of easy cleanup, but all the ingredients are safe to eat cold, so you’re just heating things up with this one.
Dash Mini Rice Cooker Black Bean Soup
- 65 Grams Salsa (1/4 Cup)
- 41 Grams Corn (1/4 Cup)
- 43 Grams Black Beans (1/2 Cup)
- 240 Grams Chicken Broth (1 Cup)
- 11 Grams Lime Juice (3/4 Teaspoon)
- 56 Grams Cooked Chicken Breast (1/4 Cup)
- 14 Grams Shredded Cheese (1 Tablespoon)
- 37 Grams Avocado, Cubed (1/4 Avocado)
- 15 Grams Sour Cream (1 Tablespoon)
- 2 Grams Green Onions, Chopped (1 Teaspoon)
- 2 Grams Crumbled Tortilla Chips (1 Tablespoon)
- Combine the salsa, corn, black beans, broth, and chicken breast in the bowl of the rice cooker.
- Turn on rice cooker and let cook for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Turn off the rice cooker and let soup cool to personal preference.
- Add optional toppings and enjoy!
Did You Try It?
I like to make this recipe for my lunches, and I can easily see this recipe being to make a tasty lunch at work or in a college setting. If you tried my recipe and liked it, let me know in the comments below. If you have suggestions for making this recipe even better, don’t hesitate to share!
Thanks for the recipe.
You are welcome! Let me know if you enjoy it.