You can never have too many chocolate chip cookie recipes.
This particular recipe lets you use up your excess sourdough starter discard. No need to waste perfectly good starter when you can simply throw it into your next batch of cookies.
And it’s definitely worth it.
These sourdough cookies are soft and cakelike. They have the perfect balance of sweet from the chocolate chips and tangy from the sourdough starter.
I prefer to make smaller, bite-size cookies whenever I make them. That way I can eat a lot of little cookies and not feel guilty.
But if you want to make them bigger – by all means, go ahead. Who am I to judge your cookie size preference?
Anyways, this sourdough discard chocolate chip cookie recipes makes a LOT of cookies. If you need to refrigerate half the dough for later, go ahead. I left my dough in the fridge over the weekend, and it still baked beautifully when I was ready for it.
Sourdough Discard Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 226 Grams Sourdough Starter (Discard, Fed, or Unfed) (1 Cup)
- 1 Large Egg
- 12 Grams Vanilla Extract (1 Tablespoon)
- 199 Grams Butter – Softened (14 Tablespoons)
- 100 Grams White Granulated Sugar (1/2 Cup)
- 100 Grams Brown Sugar (1/2 Cup)
- 250 Grams All-Purpose Flour (2 Cups)
- 6 Grams Salt (1 Teaspoon)
- 4 Grams Baking Soda (1 Teaspoon)
- 255 Grams Chocolate Chips (1.5 Cups)
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the wet ingredients: sourdough starter, egg, vanilla extract, and butter.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: white sugar, brown sugar, flour, salt, and baking soda.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just incorporated.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Cover and let dough chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350° Fahrenheit (176° Celsius).
- Drop tablespoon-sized bits of dough onto a lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Bake cookies for 10 to 12 minutes until the edges are slightly browned. The center may still seem a little wet, but allow the cookie to finish baking on the pan.
Did You Try It?
I love making this cookies whenever I don’t feel like making bread. But what did you think of the recipe? Did you like the sourdough tang or was it too strong? Let me know in the comments below!
Leave a Comment