I know I shared sourdough discard cinnamon muffins last week. But I loved that recipe so much that I had to try it again.
But this time I made a few changes.
I ditched the cinnamon and nutmeg. I threw in some chocolate chips. And now I love these muffins even more.
Sourdough discard chocolate chip muffins have all the same fluffy, soft texture as the original cinnamon muffin recipe. But they also let the sourdough tang shine through.
Maybe I’m just a sucker for chocolate chips. After all, I have about a billion different chocolate chip cookie recipes.
But I really do enjoy these muffins.
They make for great breakfasts that you can eat during the week when you need something fast. And they use up a good amount of sourdough discard, so you don’t have to waste anything.
Sourdough Discard Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 180 Grams All-Purpose Flour (1 1/2 Cups)
- 4 Grams Baking Powder (1 Teaspoon)
- 1 Gram Baking Soda (1/4 Teaspoon)
- 1.5 Grams Salt (1/4 Teaspoon)
- 100 Grams White Granulated Sugar (1/2 Cup)
- 100 Grams Brown Sugar, Packed (1/2 Cup)
- 226 Grams Sourdough Starter Discard (1 Cup)
- 60 Grams Milk (1/4 Cup)
- 57 Grams Butter, Melted (4 Tablespoons)
- 4.2 Grams Vanilla Extract (1 Teaspoon)
- 113 Grams Chocolate Chips (2/3 Cup)
- 1 Large Egg
- Preheat oven to 400° Fahrenheit (204° Celsius).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine both sugars, sourdough starter, butter, milk, vanilla extract, and egg.
- Stir together the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just moistened.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Lightly grease a muffin tin and spoon muffin batter into each cup, about 2/3 full.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Insert a toothpick, and if it comes out clean, the muffins are done.
Did You Try It?
I love it when people try my recipes. Comments and suggestions help my blog grow and they help me make great recipes even better. If you like this recipe, feel free to share your thoughts in the comments below.