Muffins muffins muffins!
I love muffins.
More specifically, I love these muffins – sourdough discard lemon poppy seed muffins.
They are sweet, tangy, and oh-so-delightful. They’re perfect for breakfasts or snacks or even dessert. And you can use up a lot of sourdough starter discard whenever you make them.
I know I’ve tried a lot of sourdough discard muffins in the last few weeks, but this one is definitely a good one to add to the list. I understand that not everyone loves a prominent sour flavor in their muffins, but the citrus from the lemon extract melds perfectly with the tang.
And if you’re feeling especially indulgent, you can make a powdered sugar glaze or frosting for these muffins, making them an especially tasty treat.
Sourdough Discard Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
- 180 Grams All-Purpose Flour (1 1/2 Cups)
- 4 Grams Baking Powder (1 Teaspoon)
- 1 Gram Baking Soda (1/4 Teaspoon)
- 6 Grams Poppy Seeds (2 Teaspoons)
- 1.5 Grams Salt (1/4 Teaspoon)
- 201 Grams White Granulated Sugar (1 Cup)
- 226 Grams Sourdough Starter Discard (1 Cup)
- 60 Grams Milk (1/4 Cup)
- 57 Grams Butter, Melted (4 Tablespoons)
- 4.2 Grams Lemon Extract (1 Teaspoon)
- 1 Large Egg
- Preheat oven to 400° Fahrenheit (204° Celsius).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, poppy seeds and salt.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine both sugars, sourdough starter, butter, milk, lemon extract, and egg.
- Stir together the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just moistened.
- Lightly grease a muffin tin and spoon muffin batter into each cup, about 2/3 full.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Insert a toothpick, and if it comes out clean, the muffins are done.
- 1 Cup Powdered Sugar (Confectioner’s Sugar)
- 1 Tablespoon Butter, Softened
- 1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons Milk
Did You Try It?
I love knowing that I made someone’s day just a little better with my blog. If you tried my recipe and liked it, feel free to let me know in the comments below. Or if you have some suggestions for making this recipe even better, please tell me! I love turning good recipes into great ones.
Leave a Comment